Monday, May 26, 2008

Guitar


You may have noticed that I haven't been reviewing as many books as I typically do. I have a few books that I am reading but lately I've just been distracted by Aaron's guitar. We bought him a black, acoustic Ibanez guitar for Christmas. But he seemed to have lost interest as soon as he realized that it wasn't going to be as easy as Playstation's "Guitar Hero". So I've been trying to teach myself how to play a few songs.
I have a couple friends who are really good and thankfully really patient. Eric and Dave have been giving me free lessons and Friday jam sessions to help me out. Victoria has also been a great help by suggesting songs that she likes, so I look up the tabs for it and force myself to learn all the chords. Last night's suggestion was "Time in a Bottle". So it looks like I have 14 new chords to learn in order to play this for her.
Whenever I start out learning a new task I become keenly aware of what it takes for others to do the task. on one hand I've been incredibly disappointed at how simple and easy some guitar songs have been for me to play without one single formal lesson. On the other hand I've gained much more respect for some of the truly talented musicians out there.
My goal in learning guitar is just to sit around with some family and friends and be able to make a few pleasing sounds that they'll find familiar. I just need to figure out how to make that goal fit into my reading schedule too.

1 comment:

  1. Me thinks that in a year or two you will pen your own song that speaks of logical fallacies. I'm sure it will be a great folk classic. Instead of the "Ring of Fire" it could be the "The Circle of Your Logic". Just throwing out some ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete