Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Evolution v. Faith Again

It's nice to see that at least one of our choices for President shares my views on the issue of teaching evolution in schools.

Q: York County was recently in the news for a lawsuit involving the teaching of intelligent design. What’s your attitude regarding the teaching of evolution in public schools?

Obama: “I’m a Christian, and I believe in parents being able to provide children with religious instruction without interference from the state.

But I also believe our schools are there to teach worldly knowledge and science. I believe in evolution, and I believe there’s a difference between science and faith. That doesn’t make faith any less important than science. It just means they’re two different things. And I think it’s a mistake to try to cloud the teaching of science with theories that frankly don’t hold up to scientific inquiry.“


I'd have probably used the phrase "I accept the evidence that shows overwhelmingly that evolution is a fact" rather than "I believe in evolution." Belief should be reserved for subjects where facts and evidence are not present. That does not apply in the case of evolution.

Hebrews 11: 1
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

No comments:

Post a Comment